Does Drinking Coffee Cause Headaches?
Coffee is second of the world’s most traded commodity. Almost every households have coffee and every member of the family drinks it. We drink coffee after waking up, snack time, lunch and dinner. It has become a part of our everyday living.
The brain produces the substance called adinosine. It triggers sleepiness. Adinosine binds with adinosine receptor and therefore the person will feel sleepy. Then caffeine comes into the scene. Its main role is to block the adinosine receptors, and it causes the brain to produce more adrenalin. This gives us more power to do extra things.
Many of us suffers from headache and we sometimes blame coffee for it. Is it right to blame coffee? Does drinking coffee cause headaches?
Caffeine in moderate consumption is use to cure headache:
1. During the occurrence of migraine, blood vessels expand, caffeine take action by constricting blood vessels or returning it to normal size.
2. It seems to increase the potency of some pain relievers. Some medications that contain caffeine are Anacin Maximum Strength, Anacin Tablets and Caplets, Aspirin-Free Excedrin Caplets, Excedrin Extra Strength Caplets and Tablets, Excedrin Migraine, Goody’s Extra Strength Tablets, Goody’s Headache Powder and Midol Menstrual Maximum Strength Caplets
3. Its stimulant effects may prevent the onset of mild headaches.
On the other hand, too much of the good thing is bad. It may cause headache due to following reasons:
1. Regular coffee drinking causes production of dopamine in brains pleasure circuit resulting in a caffeine dependency. Withdrawal symptoms are headaches, sleeplessness and nausea.
2. Drinking with a empty stomach triggers migraine. Especially to migraine prone persons. It also grabs your appetite for other foods. Stomach seems to feel full after ingesting the compound. Coffee before a meal is not recommended.
3. Magnesium deficiency causes headache. Caffeine is known for its diuretic properties. Frequent urination drains your body out of magnesium.
4. It pushes your body and mind beyond its limits. You gonna feel very tired after the effect of caffeine is gone.